From Pretty Woman to Hot Tub Time Machine, the hot tub has been an icon in pop culture since the ’60s. It started out as part of the sex, drugs, and rock-and-roll movement and now is featured in reality TV shows like Jersey Shore. It has been a popular tool for comedy films, romance films, and many more. Below are a few of the most memorable hot tub references in media.
- Scarface. Filmed in 1983, the movie depicts Tony Montana relaxing in a large, ornate hot tub, showing a side of the pleasures of relaxing in a hot tub enjoyed by the very rich.
- Pretty Woman. Julia Robert’s famous scene in 1990 had one of the most famous actresses of the day relaxing and enjoying herself in a large jet-style bathtub. The scene was funny, and even innocent, making hot tubs fun and a normal sight in film.
- Back to School. Rodney Dangerfield was one of the kings of comedy in his time, and this raunchy 1986 movie showing a hot tub in his dorm room helped to make hot tubs the sexy settings for raunchy or romantic scenes.
- Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery. In 1997, this Mike Meyers vehicle played off the now established stereotype of the “sexy hot tub” to get some serious laughs, spoofing James Bond and most “sexy” scenes that took place in hot tubs in earlier movies.
- Hot Tub Time Machine. The 2010 comedy made use of the sexy hot tub trope in a slightly different way, sticking with the stereotype but also managing to use the hot tub as a major plot point.
All of these portrayals, not to mention the reality TV shows setting the hot tub as a place for raunchy and wild behavior, have affected the way hot tubs are viewed by the public. From raunchy to romantic to just plain funny, hot tubs have a long and well-documented appeal.
Doesn’t that make you feel like part of history? You own an ICON! Sadly, we hear all to often from spa owners that aren’t using their hot tubs as often as they once did. Not Cool. More often than not it’s because they just don’t have the energy or the strength at the end of the day to wrestle their heavy cover off.
Don’t let it happen to you. You bought that hot tub to use and it made you feel great when you did. Get back to enjoying your spa! Remember how well you slept after relaxing the day away while the jets gently washed away your stress?